The twin towns of Dongara and Port Denison in WA (Western Australia) have true coastal village charm, with the Irwin River creating a scenic landmark as it meanders between the two. And along the coast, beautiful beaches provide the ideal setting for sailing, surfing, fishing, windsurfing and swimming.
Situated 360 kilometres north of Perth in the Geraldton region
of WA, Dongara and Port Denison can be reached via the Brand Highway or the scenic Indian Ocean Drive, and offer an excellent choice of accommodation.
Dongara and Port Denison attractions
- Stand on the Fishermen’s Lookout for sweeping ocean views and watch the waves roll in over the reef. The lookout boasts an obelisk in memory of sailors lost at sea.
- Enjoy the buzz of activity at Port Denison Marina, home to one of WA’s largest rock lobster fishing fleets.
- Play 18-holes at Dongara Golf Course.
- Fish for local favourites such as tailor, silver bream, whiting and mulloway at one of the three jetty’s on the marina. The area is known for great fishing and these pristine marine environments are also home to rock lobsters.
- Attend the Blessing of the Fleet, a lively local event held in October/November.
- Sample some local WA produce at the Silverdale Olive Orchard and Irwin Winery.
- Experience the excitement of the Dongara Markets, held on the first Saturday of every month, from 9am to 3pm at the town park.
- Stroll the banks of the Irwin River and enjoy incredible ocean views.
- Drive through the magnificent wildflower country of WA in spring, when the area surrounding Dongara and Port Denison comes alive with colourful blooms.
- Keep the kids entertained with a trip to see the cute and fluffy farm animals at the Barnyard.
Historic attractions of the region
- Step back in time following one of 12 different walking trails. Ask at the visitor centre for details.
- Take a gentle stroll along the Port Denison foreshore following the Shipwreck Walk and get a glimpse of the region’s amazing maritime history.
- Explore the charming historical buildings of this WA region by following the Dongara-Port Denison Heritage Trail. Purchase a booklet from the visitor centre. Highlights include the Royal Steam Roller Flour Mill and Russ Cottage.
- Visit Priory Lodge, a glorious historical establishment located a stone’s throw from the Irwin River. Constructed in 1881 as a hotel, it was later converted into a school and boarding college and was run by the Dominical Sisters for 70 years. Today it serves as a bar and restaurant and also offers accommodation.
Visit the Shire of Irwin website
, or contact the Dongara Denison Tourist Visitor Centre on +61 8 9927 1404 for more information about accommodation, attractions and tours in the twin towns of Dongara and Port Denison on WA’s Coral Coast.