Discover WA’s stunning Batavia Coast
Geraldton is nestled on WA’s (Western Australia’s) Batavia Coast, with the rolling hills of surrounding farmland and the Moresby Ranges creating a picturesque backdrop. Just 420 kilometres north of Perth, it’s a pleasant drive up the coast.
Blessed with beautiful beaches and warm, sunny weather, Geraldton is one of WA’s water sports hotspots, particularly for yachting, windsurfing, surfing, diving and fishing.
Geraldton is also a regional service centre. You will find everything you need here, from shopping, banking and accommodation to cultural, entertainment and sporting facilities.
- Check out the Batavia Coast Marina. Stroll the boardwalk along the water’s edge, stop for a coffee or a meal and take in the art features that distinguish this stylish development
- Gain a fascinating insight into WA’s lobster industry at Geraldton Fishermen’s Co-operative processing factory
- Drop a line and enjoy an ocean sunset at Fisherman’s Wharf
- Catch a break or two at Point Moore, St Georges Beach or Coronation Beach
- Take a tour of the Geraldton Meteorological Office and discover how data is collated to create weather forecasts
- Discover why consistent summer winds have earned WA’s city of Geraldton its title as Australia’s windsurfing capital. You can buy or hire all your windsurfing or kite surfing equipment in the city, or book a lesson with a local expert
- Experience the excitement of the Sunshine Festival, held every October to celebrate the cultural diversity, local talent, music, art and culture of the region
- Attend the Blessing of the Fleet, a lively local event held in October/November
- Pay a visit to WA’s Abrolhos Islands, 70 kilometres west of Geraldton. The archipelago is populated with a group of 122 islands boasting a range of fishing, diving and environmental attractions
- Visit the awe-inspiring HMAS Sydney II Memorial, built to honour the lost sailors of the HMAS Sydney maritime disaster in 1941.
- Take a tour of the magnificent St Francis Xavier Cathedral. The Byzantine style architecture of this cathedral is one of Monsignor Hawes’ greatest masterpieces.
- Explore the WA Museum Geraldton, a state-of-the-art facility gracing the Batavia Coast Marina. This attraction showcases the region’s rich maritime, natural and cultural history.
- Check out the red and white striped Point Moore Lighthouse and the nearby Lighthouse Keeper’s cottage which houses a historical collection.
Geraldton offers a wide range of accommodation, including caravan parks, motels, hotels, backpackers, holiday cottages and self contained accommodation. Search the list of Coral Coast accommodation for Geraldton accommodation options.