A favourite WA holiday playground
Where the Murchison River
meets the Indian Ocean, Kalbarri in Western Australia (WA) is a favourite holiday playground blessed with a stunning coastline, soaring river gorges and protected swimming bays. What’s more, the weather is sunny and warm all year round making any time a great time to visit.
It takes approximately six and a half hours to drive from Australia’s sunny capital of Perth to WA’s Kalbarri region
Kalbarri National Park
Just a short drive out of town is the Kalbarri National Park
, one of WA’s most exciting and spectacular natural attractions, featuring the Ross Graham Lookout
, Hawk's Head Lookout and The Loop and Z Bend.
Follow one of the many walking trails, join a river cruise, or, if you’re feeling adventurous, tackle a challenging hike or try abseiling and quad biking.
Other Kalbarri attractions
- Visit the region between July and November and you can see over 800 species of Western Australian wildflowers bursting into bloom
- Spot humpback whales from the coastal gorges and towering cliffs. The annual migration runs from June to November
- Feed the friendly local pelicans at 8.45am daily on the river foreshore
- Canoeing up the Murchison River is the perfect activity for a sunny afternoon, while thrill seekers may prefer abseiling and canyoning the National Park Gorges.
- South of Kalbarri explore the sand dunes on a sand board or quad bike tour.
- Get an adrenaline rush and go skydiving: free fall 8 thousand metres and land on the beach.
- Experience some of Australia’s best fishing in Kalbarri. Check out the top WA fishing spots and charters for details
- Catch the Canoe and Cray Festival in late May/early June
- You can take a boat charter tour all year round. There are many tours on offer including sunset cruises, dolphin, whale and private charters.
The television program Postcards WA visited the Kalbarri region and filmed some abseiling and sandboarding adventures. Watch the Kalbarri episode
Local tour operators offer a range of exciting experiences, from abseiling and sand boarding to wilderness cruises and scenic flights. Search the list of Kalbarri tours