A favourite WA holiday playground
Where the Murchison River
meets the Indian Ocean, Kalbarri in Western Australia (WA) is a favourite holiday playground blessed with a stunning coastline, soaring river gorges and protected swimming bays. What’s more, the weather is sunny and warm all year round making any time a great time to visit.
It takes approximately six and a half hours to drive from Australia’s sunny capital of Perth to WA’s Kalbarri region
Kalbarri National Park
Just a short drive out of town is the Kalbarri National Park
, one of WA’s most exciting and spectacular natural attractions, featuring the Ross Graham Lookout
, Hawk's Head Lookout and The Loop and Z Bend.
Follow one of the many walking trails, join a river cruise, or, if you’re feeling adventurous, tackle a challenging hike or try abseiling and quad biking.
Other Kalbarri attractions
- Visit the region between July and November and you can see over 800 species of Western Australian wildflowers bursting into bloom
- Spot humpback whales from the coastal gorges and towering cliffs. The annual migration runs from June to November
- Feed the friendly local pelicans at 8.45am daily on the river foreshore
- Canoeing up the Murchison River is the perfect activity for a sunny afternoon, while thrill seekers may prefer abseiling and canyoning the National Park Gorges.
- South of Kalbarri explore the sand dunes on a sand board or quad bike tour.
- Get an adrenaline rush and go skydiving: free fall 8 thousand metres and land on the beach.
- Experience some of Australia’s best fishing in Kalbarri. Check out the top WA fishing spots and charters for details
- Catch the Canoe and Cray Festival in late May/early June
- You can take a boat charter tour all year round. There are many tours on offer including sunset cruises, dolphin, whale and private charters.
Local tour operators offer a range of exciting experiences, from abseiling and sand boarding to wilderness cruises and scenic flights. Search the list of Kalbarri tours