Gateway to the wonders of WA’s Shark Bay
Denham is ideally located for exploring WA’s (Western Australia’s) Shark Bay region
, also known as the Shark Bay World Heritage Area
. Just ten hours’ drive north of Perth, this friendly coastal town offers safe swimming beaches, restaurants, shops, an airport and plenty of accommodation.
Self drive routes, cruises and tours from Denham will take you to some of Australia’s most amazing natural wonders, including WA’s famous Monkey Mia dolphins
, Hamelin Pool stromatolites
, Steep Point
, Shell Beach
and Francois Peron National Park. Search the list of Shark Bay tours
to find local operators.
Captain Henry Mangles Denham, who charted this region of Australia in 1858 in the HMS Herald, gave the WA town its name. He left his mark in the cliff face at Eagle Bluff and a section of this rock is now on display at the Pioneer Park.
- Explore Shark Bay aboard a scenic flight or yacht charter
- See the region through the eyes of the traditional land owners on an authentic Indigenous tour
- Discover the region’s cultural and ecological diversity at the Shark Bay World Heritage Discovery Centre
- Visit Eagle Bluff for a bird's eye view of the surrounding beaches and ocean
- Enjoy a favourite WA pastime and cast a line off Denham’s Town Jetty
- Catch a glimpse of Australia’s rarest birds and reptiles on a nature walk
- Fish for whiting or enjoy a picnic at Little Lagoon
- View the unique cockle shell blocks of St Andrews Anglican Church and the Old Pearler Restaurant
- Experience life on a working sheep farm in the 1950s at Peron Homestead Precinct
- Interact with marine life at Ocean Park
- Explore the heritage of Shark Bay on Dirk Hartog Island
- Follow the interpretive signage along the Shark Bay World Heritage Drive to learn about this amazing area and how it satisfies all four of the criteria to become heritage listed
The seaside town provides many options for couples and families, from resorts and hotels to campsites and tourist parks. To find accommodation in the WA town of Denham, search the list of Shark Bay accommodation.
Visit the Shark Bay World Heritage Discovery and Visitor Centre
website, or call +61 8 9948 1590 for further information, or to book accommodation and tours in Denham and WA’s Shark Bay region on Australia’s Coral Coast.