| Sep 15, 2016
The unique festival performance-art centrepiece, the Pyrophone Juggernaut will make its way to World Heritage Shark Bay as part of the Dirk Hartog Voyage of Discovery event from 21 to 25 October 2016. This five-day festival commemorates 400 years since Dutch sea captain Dirk Hartog made landfall off the coast of Western Australia.
The Pyrophone is the latest addition to the festival line-up and is the largest hand-operated, multi-octave fire organ in the world, direct from the Sau Paulo’s Virada Cultural. Fueled by fire, the instrument is made entirely of reclaimed metal, spanning 12 meters long and nine meters high.
Resembling an unearthly metal ship, this thrilling outdoor performance will erupt with furnace-driven Mad Max-esque hypnotic rhythms. The Pyrophone Juggernaut will be an exhilarating sonic feast, free to the public and will take place at the Shark Bay Speedway each day of the festival as the sun goes down.
A highlight of the 2016 commemorative program is the mooring of the replica VOC vessel The Duyfken in Denham following its WA coastline voyage alongside the STS Leeuwin II, the STS Young Endeavour and Batavia Longboat which are also making the journey.
Other Festival highlights include:
- a free community concert with headline Aussie rock legend, Joe Camilleri, and the Black Sorrows.
- a masquerade Golden Age Ball to honour the Dutch period of golden achievements full of fun, food and fancy dress.
- families will love the collaborative project between national cardboard masters BoxWars and the wider Shark Bay community.
- art history buffs will enjoy the MODA 1616 Exhibition showing costumes and period dress of the time with an interactive ‘Portrait Corner’.
- drone enthusiasts will love the ND5 exhibit, showcasing Shark Bay from above through the lens of WA's best photographers plus Navigating the West a large scale projection event on daily.
The Dirk Hartog Voyage of Discovery is expected to draw a large number of visitors to the beautiful Shark Bay World Heritage area. Learn more about the event program, tours running during festivities and book your accommodation via www.sharkbay1616.com.au