The UNESCO Ningaloo Coast World Heritage Area was established in 2011 and is regarded as one of the last great ocean paradises. The area was listed due to its marine and terrestrial (land) properties including rare flora and fauna such as the Whale Shark, with 300 to 500 of these megafauna aggregating at Ningaloo annually.
The Ningaloo Reef is one of the longest near-shore reefs in the world and the world's largest fringing reef system, stretching 300 kilometres from Red Bluff (accessible via Carnarvon) running north along the coast to the Muiron Islands in the north and Bundegi Beach in the east of the Exmouth Gulf.
In the south is Carnarvon, a sub-tropical oasis positioned between the Shark Bay and Ningaloo World Heritage Areas, the ideal base for day trips and overnight visits to the southern Ningaloo Reef and Gascoyne hinterland.
Further north, Coral Bay is a small seaside location - a marine paradise for nature lovers, a Western Australian family holiday destination, and home to WA's largest Manta Ray population which you can swim with.
Exmouth is the northern gateway to the Reef and is the perfect location from which to explore the impressive landscape of the Cape Range National Park and the underwater wonders of the Ningaloo Marine Park.
Exmouth is a 13 hour drive from Perth, and a 2 hour flight with Qantas from Perth. Carnarvon is a 9 hour drive from Perth, and a 2 hour 15 minute flight with Regional Express (REX) from Perth. We highly recommend pre-booking transfer or car hire before arriving - taxis and transport do not meet every flight.
* Top Ten *
- Swim: with Ningaloo's 'Big 3' - whale sharks, manta rays and humpback whales, in Exmouth & Coral Bay
- Visit: the Carnarvon Space and Technology Museum
- Snorkel: and swim at Coral Bay or take a glass-bottom boat to see the coral gardens
- Stay: at an Outback Station Stay
- Explore: Exmouth’s Ningaloo Aquarium and Discovery Centre
- Learn: the indigenous story of the region at Gwoonwardu Mia Heritage and Cultural Centre in Carnarvon
- Taste: the amazing produce along Carnarvon's 'fruit loop' trail and at the Gascoyne Food Festival
- 4WD: your way around Kennedy Range National Park, an hour drive east of Carnarvon
- Hike: through Cape Range National Park for some panoramic view from the top of the range
- Catch: a big one on a range of fishing charters out of Exmouth and Coral Bay
Click on the map and see below to learn more about the Ningaloo region ...
Discover Ningaloo's Big 3
Africa has its Big 5, and Ningaloo has its Big 3 - whale sharks, humpback whales and manta rays. Get up close to these incredible megafauna on tour from Coral Bay and Exmouth.