Island Life Festival (17th - 21st September 2020). Join Dirk Hartog Island to celebrate the infusion of the World's oldest living Indigenous culture with Australia's oldest European artefact, Dirk's Plate. This fantastic annual event showcases some of Australia's best chefs, presenting incredible produce sourced from Western Australia and the Gascoyne Region on the historic Dirk Hartog Island, first discovered by Europeans over 400 years ago by the world's most valuable company of all time - the Dutch East Indian Company. In search of spices, they discovered Australia in 1616. Learn about both the rich Indigenous and European history of this World Heritage National Park while enjoying the beautiful food prepared by chefs George Cooper from Tiller Dining, and Russell Blaikie from Must Wine Bar, and soaking up Island Life.
BYO 4WD Camping Deal: $675.00 per person (minimum two people), including:
- Campfire Seafood Paella (17/09), On Dirk's Dinner Plate Long Table Lunch (Saturday 19/09, midday-4:00pm) and Bonfire Beach BBQ (Saturday 19/09, 6:00pm-10:00pm)
- 8x Standard Drink Vouchers per person, for use at any time throughout your stay (excludes spirits)
- Return 4WD, trailer and passenger transfers ex. Steep Point
- Homestead Camping Site, use of shared camp kitchen with gas top, BBQ and drinking water
- Fresh hot water showers and flushing toilets
- Australia's Last Sunset - Brews & Stews (18/09, 4:00pm-9:00pm). Served at Herald Heights, on top of 600ft high cliffs, overlooking the Indian Ocean while watching Australia's last sunset. $85.00pp
- Campfire Light Meal. A light meal on the campfire after the Long Table Lunch, served at the Inscription Bar & Cafe, where you'll be able to sit back and relax with a few drinks as the sun sets. $45.00pp
- Half Day/Full Day Fishing Charter. Head out with Garth, the great fisherman skipper, and go out fishing to his secret spots around the Island. Starting from $216.00pp
- Snorkelling tour with Ocean Park Aquarium. Snorkel in the Shark Bay sanctuary reefs, in search of fish species and turtles, and witnessing the unique coral systems. $100.00
- Island Food Foraging. Learn the cultural history of Shark Bay from local Indigenous man Darren Capewell, while out food foraging around the Island. $155.00pp
- Whale Watching Tour. Enjoy a 3-hour marine tour searching for humpback whales and their young in the Shark Bay waters. $85.00pp
- Gourmet Food & Wine Tasting Class. Join Russell Blaikie for a cooking masterclass, Island Style, at Dirk Hartog Island's new pop up oceanfront bar. Sample seafood cooked on the BBQ, paired with premium Western Australian wines. $120.00pp
Island Life: Dirk Hartog Island
Dirk Hartog Island is one of Australia's emerging nature-based tourism destinations and Western Australia’s largest and most western island. Situated in the Shark Bay World Heritage area the island is renowned for tranquil beaches, stunning rugged landscapes and rich Australian history. Dirk Hartog Island is an 'ark' for endangered wildlife and the perfect place for an island adventure.
Dugongs, loggerhead turtles, humpback whales, giant manta rays and whale sharks all visit the waters surrounding the island making it an underwater paradise for snorkelers, divers and wildlife lovers. Whether it’s fishing, exploring the wilderness, swimming in secluded turquoise beaches, having a BBQ under the stars or enjoying the array of outdoor activities on offer, there’s no better way to take in the West Aussie Coast!
On the Map: Dirk Hartog Island
The island also has a prominent place in Australian history. The arrival of Captain Dirk Hartog in 1616 marked the first European landing on Australia's West Coast. He nailed an inscribed pewter plate to a post in a rock cleft leaving his inscription and placing Australia on world maps for the first time.
Travelling: Dirk Hartog Island
Guests can access the island by barge, charter boat or light aircraft. Please note that all transfer fees are included in the Dirk Hartog Island packages listed below via barge ex. Steep Point, light aircraft ex. Monkey Mia Airport or charter boat ex. Denham.
Barge via Steep Point: The 4WD Barge operates 364 days a year ex. Blackie’s Beach, Steep Point. The barge, Hartog Explorer is a purpose-built landing craft designed to carry a 4WD vehicle and off-road camper trailer with passengers to Dirk Hartog Island.
Boat or Aircraft: Return boat transfers from Denham to Dirk Hartog Island are arranged upon booking. A light aircraft can also be arranged to transfer passengers direct from Monkey Mia Airport to Dirk Hartog Island airstrip.
Island Accommodation: Dirk Hartog Island
Wake up in rustic luxury with ocean views or camp under the stars! Accommodation on Dirk Hartog Island ranges from ocean front Ecolodge rooms, a self-contained Ocean Villa, Homestead Camping Grounds or National Park Camping.
Package options include:
1. Eco Lodge: Sleeps up to 12 people – private double/twin rooms with en suites
The rustic luxury Dirk Hartog Island Eco Lodge is located only 30 metres from the ocean with stunning panoramic views of Shark Bay. Equipped with a bar area, pool table, open kitchen, outdoor dining area and private library the Eco Lodge is a home away from home waiting to be enjoyed as the fresh ocean air fills its walls. Spend days exploring the calm island waters by kayak or stand up paddle board then relax by your very own fire pit in the evening. The Eco Lodge provides a comfortable holiday setting in an exclusive yet relaxed environment. The lodge consists of six double/twin rooms with en-suites.
Packages available include Ecolodge rooms with en-suite, return transfers ex. Denham or ex. Steep Point, premium bed linen & towels, toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap), all gourmet meals and non-alcoholic drinks, and the use of SUP boards and kayaks. Eco Tours include 4WD / Boat safaris.
- BYO 4WD Self-Drive Adventure
- 3 nights/4 days - From $996 per person (min 2 people)
- 5 nights/6 days - From $1,495 per person (min 2 people)
- Historical Eco Tour: 3 nights/4days - From $1,338 per person (min 2 people)
- Marine Eco Tour: 3 nights/4 days - From $1,460 per person (min 2 people)
- Explore Dirk Hartog Island Eco tour: 5 nights/6 days - From $1,845 per person (min 2 people)
For more information on these packages, please visit the Dirk Hartog Island website.
2. Ocean Villa: Sleeps 6 people – private villa for a group
The Ocean Villa option offers a self-contained villa providing a great getaway for small groups of friends and family looking for an island adventure. Located just 50m from the ocean, the villa is the perfect base to explore the island by BYO boat or 4WD. Features of the villa include a fully equipped kitchen, outdoor dining area and BBQ facilities to enjoy your fresh catch of the day. Three separate bedrooms (3x single beds, 1x bunk and 1x double) and a separate bathroom.
Minimum stay: 4 nights
Self-catered: From $395 per night
For more information on these packages please visit the Dirk Hartog Island website.
3. Homestead Camping: 10+ sites available
Are you a happy camper instead? Another option to enjoy secluded Dirk Hartog Island is the homestead camping grounds located on the east coast of the island, only 20km from the barge landing area. Facilities include a camp kitchen with gas BBQ, fire pit, food preparation area and sink – all located 50m from the beach… Did someone say ‘gone fishing’?
Two toilets and hot showers are also available adding a little glamp to your camp. Staying at the Dirk Hartog Homestead camping grounds is a memorable way of enjoying this secluded island and its array of natural beauty.
Packages available include return 4WD, camper trailer and passenger transfers, camping fees with the use of shared camp facilities and bathrooms.
- Self-Drive Adventure Packages
- 3 nights/4 days - From $660 per 4WD (includes 2 adults)
- 4 nights/5 days - From $710 per 4WD (includes 2 adults)
- 6 nights/7 days - From $868 per 4WD (includes 2 adults)
For more information on these packages please visit the Dirk Hartog Island website.
4. National Park Camping: DIY camping
Bring your own 4WD and explore the island yourself! With a variety of camping areas to choose from your camping style and daily activities are endless. Follow the rugged and wild coastline to fish, discover untouched crystal blue swimming bays or explore the wilderness at your leisure. 4WD access Fee: $15 per vehicle.
4WD Transfer Prices:
- Return 4WD rate: From $680
- Return camper trailer transfer: $120
- Return passenger transfers: $35 per adult, $22 per child
Seasonal discounts: Available online for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday transfers.
National Park Camping Fees - per night:
Concession (Senior card must be presented): $15
For more information on this package visit the Dirk Hartog Island website.