Western Australia’s growing holiday hotspot
A family holiday favourite, Jurien Bay on WA’s (Western Australia’s) Coral Coast offers fantastic fishing, great beaches and a good range of accommodation options. Located just two and a half hours' drive north of Perth on the Indian Ocean Drive, Jurien Bay ranked among the top WA fishing spots and the Jurien Bay Marina (built in 1988) now provides a safe haven for a large number of crayfishing boats.
History of WA’s Jurien Bay
In 1801, French naval explorer Nicholas Baudin journeyed along the coast of WA and named Jurien Bay in honour of Charles Jurien, an administrator in the French Navy. In the 1950s and 60s, growing demand in Australia’s rock lobster (crayfish) export market prompted the development of jetties, boatsheds and fisherman’s shacks. In hot pursuit were the holidaymakers, who began building beach house accommodation and enjoying family fun in the sheltered waters.
Jurien Bay attractions
- Enjoy safe swimming in the tranquil area within the inland harbour, or more excitement in the surf at the other beaches in the bay. All have pristine white sand and enticing clear waters, and some are also good for windsurfing.
- Dive or snorkel WA’s Jurien Bay Marine Park and meet the friendly Australian sea lions by joining a tour sea lion charter.
- Go skydiving and land on the beach or take a scenic flight of the area.
- Check out the vibrant Jurien Bay Marina.
- Fish for your supper from the beaches, the new Jurien Bay Jetty or the limestone groynes. If you’ve brought your own boat along, fuel, jetties, ramps and pens are all available to the public.
- Visit nearby Lesueur National Park for wonderful wildflower displays and magnificent views from the lookouts, walking trails and scenic drive.
- Take a drive south to Cervantes to see the magical Pinnacles of Nambung National Park.
- Catch the Blessing of the Fleet, a lively local event held every November.
Jurien Bay accommodation
There is a good selection of options available. Search the list of Australia’s Coral Coast accommodation
for accommodation in the Jurien Bay region of WA.
Visit the Dandaragan Shire
website for more information about accommodation, tours and local attractions in WA’s growing holiday hotspot, Jurien Bay, and the surrounding region of Australia’s Coral Coast.