Q: Where is Western Australia's Coral Coast?

A: Western Australia’s Coral Coast starts two hours drive north of Perth at Cervantes and follows the beautiful Indian Ocean coastline as far north as Exmouth. We go inland to the east into Wildflower Country.

There are various options for getting to Western Australia's Coral Coast. By air, Regional Express (REX) flies to Monkey Mia and Carnarvon, and Qantas fly into Geraldton and Exmouth. Alternatively, coach, tour, hire car and self-drive options are also available.

Western Australia's Coral Coast has sealed roads throughout, making for perfect driving conditions, and a range of unsealed roads for 4WD driving conditions. See the travel information pages for more information.

Western Australia's Coral Coast region enjoys warm weather year-round with a Mediterranean climate in the south bordering on subtropical in the north. Visit the weather and climate page for more information

Q: Is there a fee to get into the National Parks?

A: In some National Parks of Western Australia entrance fees and day fees apply. A range of National Park passes are available to buy online in advance from Parks and Wildlife

Day Pass - This pass covers entry into one or more parks on any one day. Passes are available at park entry points. In some parks, a system of self-registration applies. Fees: Motorcycles - $8 per motorcycle; Private vehicles with up to 12 legally seated occupants including the driver - $15 per vehicle or $8 concession per vehicle; Private vehicles with 13 or more legally seated occupants including the driver - $7 per occupant / -$2.50 per concession occupant.

Holiday Park Pass - This pass entitles entry to as many parks as you wish for any four-week period. Fee: $60/vehicle (up to 12 people), $40/vehicle for 14 days, $25/vehicle for 5 days

Annual All Park Pass - This pass entitles you to unlimited access to all parks in WA for one year. Valid for one vehicle, with up to 12 legally seated people. Fee: $120 or $75 for concession card holders. Cards must be sighted.

Park passes do not include camping. Separate fees apply. For more information on park passes visit Parks and Wildlife website or contact on +61 8 9219 9000

Are you a RAC WA member? You get 50% off! Click to buy your pass online.

Q: What are the Pinnacles?

A: The Pinnacles are natural limestone pillars that reach up to five metres tall and are made from ancient shells. The Pinnacles are found in the Nambung National Park, near the town of Cervantes.

Q: When can I see wildflowers?

A: Western Australia's Coral Coast is wildflower country all year round, however, displays are at their best between July and September when inland areas explode into carpets of brilliant colour as wildflowers blanket the region.

Q: Can I swim with the dolphins at Monkey Mia?

A: The Dolphins of Monkey Mia are protected by the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPAW). The dolphins usually come to the beach three times a day to feed. There are Rangers that regulate the dolphin feeding, and who choose a member of the crowd to help feed them.

Throughout the day the dolphins like to hunt for fish in this area and if you are swimming in the beach there is a chance one may swim by you, however, it is not recommended to pat or touch the dolphins as they are wild animals.

Q: Are whale sharks and manta rays dangerous?

A: No they are not. Both whale sharks and manta rays are filter feeders, feeding on krill and plankton. The manta ray, has no barb in its tail, unlike the stingray. The manta ray has a wingspan of up to four metres in width, while the whale sharks can grow up to 18 metres in length, making it the largest fish in the ocean. Tours are available to swim with these majestic creatures and depart daily from Coral Bay and Exmouth between mid-March and mid-July.

Both of these graceful creatures swim close to the surface so only snorkelling tours are available, you should be a confident swimmer to participate in these tours. Most tour companies offer snorkelling equipment and wetsuit if needed.

Q: Do I need a licence for fishing in Western Australia's Coral Coast?

A: In all of Western Australia a fishing licence is required for the following:

  • Rock Lobster
  • Abalone
  • Marron
  • South-West Freshwater Angling
  • Net Fishing
  • Boat fishing (selected species)

For detailed information about fishing licenses on Australia's Coral Coast, visit the Department of Fisheries website.

Q: What is the difference between Ningaloo Reef and the Great Barrier Reef?

A: The Ningaloo Reef is similar to the Great Barrier Reef in the experiences and activities it offers, but that is where the similarities end. The Ningaloo Reef is a fringing reef system and is within metres from the shore, you can literally walk to the reef in some places. (The Great Barrier Reef is only accessible by boat or plane).

The Ningaloo Reef is a snorkeller's and diver's paradise as it encompasses 300 kilometres of coastline and is home to 300 species of coral and around 500 species of fish. Visit the snorkelling and diving pages for further information.

Q: When is the best time to visit the Coral Coast?

A: The best time is when it suits you, but we generally say between March to October due to warmer weather as well as the concentration of seasonal activities.

Q: How do I get from Learmonth Airport to Exmouth or Coral Bay?

There are several options if you arrive by air to secure airport transfers or hire a car.

The airport is situated approximately 36km South of Exmouth and 120km North of Coral Bay and services Qantas passenger aircraft.

Bookings are essential for airport transfers, taxi's/charter and rental vehicles as operators do not always meet each flight and may only operate when bookings are made prior to arrival. There are several hire car companies based at the Airport.

Click here for more information.